Our life’s journey to discover happiness is a solo adventure (happiness comes from within) and no one other than you can make it happen for you.
Having said that, we compulsively enlist others in OUR pursuit of happiness and load them up with expectations of which they are often unaware. It is “expectations” that cause relationships to unravel, tempers to flare, and what-once-appeared-to-be-love, to die. No matter what we were taught in childhood,
expecting anything from others is unreasonable.
We can hope, but we can never expect!
This is the key point of this post:
Hope and expectations are completely different constructs (concepts)!
- Hope is something we create internally and through our desires we project out into to the world – hope depends only on us: our dreams, our goals, and our thoughts. We hope for an outcome, we hope for things to happen, and we hope to feel a certain way when “it” happens. Hope springs eternal and does not need others to be involved in our journey.
- Expectations are a completely different thing because by their nature others are intimately (and often unsuspectingly) involved every step of the way. While they are also created internally, expectations are immediately infused with judgment and criticality based on “what would we do.” Expectations are like writing a screenplay for others and chiding those who don’t play their role the way you’ve intended. “Unfulfilled” expectations create detours and unnecessary delays on our road to happiness.
When you hang on to hope and let go of your expectations, life becomes easy!
Here’s some examples of the differences between hope and expectations:
Practice letting go of your expectations of others and replace them with hope.
Wishing you a happy week!
- Week 6: Joy (alternateeconomy.wordpress.com)
- Hope. (michellecall.com)
- Day 31-Happiness is … building a sandwich without a recipe (365waystobehappy.wordpress.com)
- Hope, happiness, and joy: The unseen rope (renplus.wordpress.com)
- Unhappy vs Unhappiness! (soumyav.wordpress.com)
- What Did You Expect? (goss-coaching.com)