Help! I feel stuck this week!
One of my favorite quotes (anonymous) is:
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won’t anymore… And who always will. So, don’t worry about people from your past, there’s a reason why they didn’t make it into your future.
I have reached that point, and I’ve decided that I no longer want to live in the past or mourn the loss of so many of my years in a relationship that was toxic to me. Yet, I feel really challenged to stay up, stay focused on the future, and not have the pain of the past interfere with my present and future.
I can recite positive affirmations, ignore the (doom-and-gloom) news reports, bolster my spirits by feeding my mind with positive self-talk, and override my inner critic with optimism about the future… but somehow this week it’s just not enough.
Can I ask you for help? I don’t ask often, but this week I really need some outside encouragement.
Let me give you a bit of insight of what’s happening this week:
1. First, let me share with you the positive visions I have:
Along, the lines of Positive Thinking (Dr. Norman Vincent Peale), Think and Grow Rich (Napoleon Hill), The Secret (Rhonda Byrne) and others, I envision and fully embrace a not-too-distant future that I can taste, feel, smell, imagine, see, hear, all bursting alive with:
- “Feng shui”- happy living arrangements in a great neighborhood;
- Financial prosperity;
- Lots of healthy, mutually beneficial relationships and friends;
- New career adventures (involving international travel);
- Exciting contracts (at fair market value for my services);
- Great speaking opportunities (where I can continue to make a difference to my audiences);
- Forgiveness (of myself and others) that opens the pathway to true love;
- Wondrous happiness for my grown children;
- Ongoing great health and vitality;
- Optimism to face whatever crosses my path without fear!
2. Now, allow me to share with you my challenges:
- My house is selling in a short-sale situation (due to a bad divorce arrangement) and the fallout of this will likely ruin my credit and result in a hefty IRS bill for the shortfall (taxed);
- I have a houseful of items that even EBay professional buyers won’t take (they say that NOTHING is selling today) that I have to get rid of (much of which was never mine). I can donate items to get rid of them or have a charity come and pick them up – but it is an overwhelming situation now.
- Voices from my past that tell me that I am not lovable, not deserving, crazy, and my perceptions are wrong are so pervasive in my head that even though the physical people have been gone for 5 years – it is tough to override years of the treatment.
- Some well-meaning friends tell me not to put any stake in any potential romantic relationships because they know better than I what will or won’t work out. (Yes, I am learning to ignore them!)
- Despite a resume that impresses even the most seasoned professionals, I’m constantly seeking work where I can help organizations in software metrics and project management… and everyone tells me that it’s the economy.
- I want to work and live in Europe or Asia and I don’t know how to make it happen!
I’m thinking that the process of culling, consolidating, discarding and sifting through all the “stuff” in my house and facing what others left for me to clean up, is a process. I’m looking forward to being in a new place of my own that is free from the ghosts of the past. New space, new energy – it’s bound to be better than the energy of the past.
So, will you lend me some sanity this week? What words of wisdom can you give me to boost my spirits?
(I promise to return the favor!)
Wishing you a happy, healthy, positive week!