In many ways I feel like I am living a “Benjamin Buttons” life
(a reference to the circa 2009 movie of the same name where a baby was born as an old man and progressively got younger as he chronologically aged). I married young, had two wonderful children in my 20’s, and now enjoy a single life where I love myself, appreciate good friends, and am grateful for health, work, career and a happy life.
In many ways I feel like I’m living my 20’s today – I have the freedom I never had when I was married or raising children to go out whenever and wherever – and I love it.
Along with my youthful outlook is maturity, and I realize just how much I do not know about life or the world! Maybe that is the beauty of my current life and my place in it! I know what I know (professional expertise) and I am learning everyday that there is so much that I don’t know (and maybe never will).
- I know that friends come and go, but I don’t know when new ones will come and old ones will leave. Somehow there is always a balance of good friends that is just short of 5 at any one time.
- I know that good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people, and sometimes it just doesn’t seem to be fair or balanced. I have no idea why this is so.
- I know that it is more than okay to be me and to love being so! Since I am not a child, I do not understand why others seek to change me (for my own good.)
- I know that I am a giving and generous person (who often put others first to my detriment). I do not know (and am learning that it doesn’t matter) what others think of me.
- I know that my perceptions and feelings are valid, just are those of others. I do not know or purport to know what goes on in anyone else’s head.
- I used to think I knew about love, and now I know that I know nothing at all.
- I know that I know very little about human behavior aside from my own.
- I know that I do not like conflict, loss, confrontation, accusations or cruelty. And I know that there are people who do.
- I know not to take things that people do or say to me personally (it is more about them and their experience), but it still feels personal. I do not know how to perfect this practice.
- I know that I will never be able to predict (with any accuracy or precision) the reactions of others.
- I know that girlfriends are the joy and stability of life.
- I know that there are reasons that people from my past did not make it into my present.
- I know that mean doesn’t go away and fortunately, neither does nice.
- I know that friends can be the family we CHOOSE for ourselves.
- I know that there is no guarantee that siblings will be friends.
- I know that people are always surprising – sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad.
- I know that change is the natural state. I do not know how to make more of the good things last longer and the bad ones disappear.
- I know that for every “get rich quick” scheme there are people who were taken.
- I know that I am grateful for the people, places, pets, nature, parents, children, and friends who grace my life today.
- I know that they will not always be there tomorrow.
- I know that I don’t know what I don’t know…
When I was younger, I used to think I knew more about life than I did not. Today I think just the opposite. Maybe that is a sign of maturity – or maybe it is proof that I am young at heart! And I am quite happy to know that I have so much more to learn.
Have a good week!