I never fully understood the allure of New York until this weekend, and I’m growing fonder of the place by the visit. NYC is like no other place on earth and I think I know why.
Can you think of anyplace else where:
- Everyone of every age seems to travel by subway or walk or bike?
- There are so many unique fashion trends that no one stands out as different or strange?
- Every neighborhood has its own flavor and celebrates traditions in the street (I experienced solstice (midsummer) today –Brooklyn style– with rock bands playing at corner restaurants on a Monday afternoon) – and world cup soccer is celebrated even if the U.S. is not playing a match?
- People are universally accepted and (equally) ignored no matter what their race, creed or religion?
- There are great restaurants and entertainment venues everywhere within walking distance or a short subway ride?
- The city and boroughs stay open late (and you can get dinner past 10 pm!) – and are filled day and night?
- Space is at a premium yet the hot summer heat doesn’t seem to create hostility?
- Summer is celebrated nightly with rooftop parties and gatherings?
It’s so refreshing to find parks within the concrete jungle, European style street corner restaurants, delis and cafes spilling outside, people walking everywhere, cultural diversity being celebrated, and generally happy people all about. As my daughter says, NYC is like its own country and she’s one of its proudest citizens. Who knows, maybe someday, I’ll be one too!
Have a good week!
Carol Dekkers, Software Measurement and Global Software Development expert, author, speaker. Want to engage Carol to be a speaker at your next event? Email Ms. Dekkers at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.caroldekkers.com for details.
Copyright Carol Dekkers 2010…